To send an e-mail click here.
Professor Dr. Sabine Kuester is chairperson of the Chair of Marketing & Innovation at the University of Mannheim. She is also Director of the Institute of Market-Oriented Management at the University of Mannheim and Academic Director of the Fulltime MBA Program at the Mannheim Business School. Previously, Professor Kuester was on the faculty at the ESSEC Graduate School of Management in France, at the Leonard N. Stern School of Business, New York University in the U.S., and Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration in Austria. Sabine Kuester has lectured at various other business schools including London School of Economics, Imperial College, Singapore Institute of Management, and SDA Bocconi.
Sabine Kuester received her B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Economics and Business at the University of Cologne in Germany and her Ph.D. in Marketing at the London Business School in England.
Professor Kuester's research interest is in marketing strategy, marketing of innovation, marketing management, and international marketing. Her work has appeared in journals such as the Journal of Marketing, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of International Marketing, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Zeitschrift für Betriebswirtschaftslehre, and in scholarly books. She is multiple recipient of best paper awards inter alia by the American Marketing Association. She published the international textbook Marketing Management: A contemporary perspective (published by McGraw-Hill) together with Christian Homburg and Harley Krohmer. Sabine Kuester was also published in the business press, for example, in the Financial Times, Les Echo (France), Industry Standard, and Business Standard (India). She consulted for multinational companies in Europe and the United States and acted as an expert on technology panels and in international Delphi studies. Her department maintains cooperations in teaching with companies such as Pfizer, Bosch, Reuters, BASF, Coty, and Deutsche Telekom.
Selected publications in Referred Journals
Kuester, Sabine, Christian Homburg and Thomas S. Robertson (1999), "Retaliatory Behavior to New Product Entry," Journal of Marketing, 63 (4), 90-106.
Kuester, Sabine, Monika C. Schuhmacher, Barbara Broermann, and Andreas Worgul (forthcoming 2013), "Sectoral Heterogeneity in New Service Development: An Exploratory Study of Service Types and Success Factors," Journal of Product Innovation Management, n/a, n/a.
Kuester, Sabine, Christian Homburg, and Silke C. Hess (2012), "Externally Directed and Internally Directed Market Launch Management: The Role of Organizational Factors in Influencing New Product Success," Journal of Product Innovation Management, 29, 38-52.
Montaguti, Elisa, Sabine Kuester, and Thomas S. Robertson (2002), "Entry Strategy for Radical Product Innovations: A Conceptual Model and Propositional Inventory," International Journal of Research in Marketing, 19 (1), 21-42.
Homburg, Christian, Sabine Kuester, Nikolas Beutin, and Ajay Menon (2005), "Determinants of Customer Benefits in Business-to-Business Markets: A Cross-Cultural Comparison," Journal of International Marketing, 13 (3), 1-31.
Homburg, Christian and Sabine Kuester (2001), "Toward an Improved Understanding of Industrial Buying Behavior: Determinants of the Number of Suppliers," Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing, 8 (2), 5-33.
|Find the complete list of publications here.|
Selected publications in Conference Proceedings
Feurer, Sven, Monika C. Schuhmacher, and Sabine Kuester (2013), "Using price strategy to manage adoption barriers of radical new products," in American Marketing Association Winter Educators' Conference 2013 Proceedings, Las Vegas, NV, USA (February 15-17).
Kuester, Sabine, Barbara Broermann, Sven Feurer, and Monika C. Schuhmacher (2012), "Price complexity and perceptions of price fairness: The moderating effect of need for cognition," in American Marketing Association Winter Educators' Conference 2012 Proceedings, St. Petersburg, FL, USA (February 17-19).
Schuhmacher, Monika C., Sabine Kuester, and Sven Feurer (2012), "Co-creation in New Service Development: An Experiment," in American Marketing Association Winter Educators' Conference 2012 Proceedings, St. Petersburg, FL, USA (February 17-19).
Kuester, Sabine and Andreas Hildesheim (2012), "Sales Force Integration in New Product Development - A Key Driver of New Product Success?," in American Marketing Association Winter Educators' Conference 2012 Proceedings, St. Petersburg, FL, USA (February 17-19).
Schuhmacher, Monika C., Sabine Kuester, and Maurus Tremel (2011), "Sport Sponsoring - The Communication Impact of Different Components of the Sponsor-Event-Fit and the Role of Involvement," in American Marketing Association Summer Educators' Conference 2011 Proceedings, San Francisco, CA, USA (August 5-8).
Kuester, Sabine and Nina Landauer (2011), "Current Corporate Product Portfolio Management Practice: An Exploratory Study," in American Marketing Association Summer Educators' Conference 2011 Proceedings, San Francisco, CA, USA (August 5-8).
Kuester, Sabine and Barbara Broermann (2011), "Strategies for Introducing Prices for Formerly Free Value-added Services," in AMA Winter Educators' Conference 2011 Proceedings, Austin, TX, USA (February 18-20).
Feurer, Sven, Sabine Kuester, and Monika C. Schuhmacher (2012), "When is the launch price of a new product (un)fair? The moderating effects of new product radicalness, customer innovativeness, and expected future price reduction," in Proceedings of the 2012 EMAC Conference, Lisbon (May 22-25).
Kuester, Sabine and Thomas Rilling (2010), "Managers' Marketing Alliance Formation Behavior - The Impact of Company External Conditions and Managers? Personality Traits," in Proceedings of the 39th EMAC Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark (June 1-4).
Kuester, Sabine, Silke C. Heß, and Isabel Staufer (2008), "What Do Brands Signal for New Products?," in Proceedings of the 37th EMAC Conference, Brighton, UK (May 27-30).
Kuester, Sabine and Monika C. Schuhmacher (2010), "Leveraging Customer Knowledge for New Products in B2C: Drivers and Performance Implications," in Proceedings of the 17th IPDM Conference, Murcia, Spain (June 13-15).
Kuester, Sabine, Monika C. Schuhmacher, and Claudia Grigull (2009), "Consumer Evaluations of Intelligent Products," in Proceedings of the 16th IPDM Conference, Enschede, Holland (June 7-9).
Schuhmacher, Monika C., Sabine Kuester, and Dorothee Flötotto (2011), "Idea Competitions in New Service Development: Co-Creation with a Certain Consumer Group?," in Proceedings of the 15th AMS World Conference, Reims, France (July 19-23).
Find the complete list of publications here.
- Homburg, Christian, Sabine Kuester, and Harley Krohmer (2012), Marketing Management - A Contemporary Perspective. London: McGraw-Hill.
- Kuester, Sabine (1996), Retaliatory Behavior to New Product Entry. London: London University Press.
Publications in the Business Press
- Kuester, Sabine (2009), "Brands - A tale of the mighty?," Association of MBAs, Ambition, 10 (April-June), 2-3.
- Kuester, Sabine (2008), "Ketchup muss rot sein," Financial Times Deutschland, Oktober 29.
- Kuester, Sabine (2003), "Marketing Orientierung für Professoren und Praktiker," Die Welt, März 1.
- Kuester, Sabine (2001), "Accélérer le Décollage des Nouvelles Technologies," Les Echos, November 20.
- Kuester, Sabine (2001), "Can Technology Wisdom be Taught?," The Industry Standard, May 12.
- Kuester, Sabine (1998), "Technology Takeoff - How do new technologies get there?," Financial Times, September.
- September 2008: Verleihung des "Mannheim Business School Excellence in Executive Teaching Award" für hervorragende Lehre an der Mannheim Business School.
Supervision of Doctoral Dissertations
- "Pricing of Innovations" (Sven Feurer)
- "Reducing Uncertainty in New Service Development" (Andreas Rauch)
- "Antecedences and Performance Implications of Radical Service Innovations" (Johannes Deker)
- "Launch Management of Service Innovations" (Elisa Baumbach)
- "Continue or terminate - Drivers of decisions in the management of new product projects" (Dominik Reinartz)
- "Business Model Innovation" (Laura Herbst)
- "Business Model Innovation for Emerging Markets: Success Factors for the Development and Marketing as well as the Transfer to Developed Markets" (Sergej von Janda)
- "Customer Integration within the Innovation Process" (Monika C. Schuhmacher)
- "Customers' Decision Making within the Innovation Adoption Process" (Silke C. Heß)
- "Consequences of Product Portfolio Decisions on Consumer Behavior" (Sebastian Buys)
- "Marketing Alliances - Formation, Intensity, and Performance Consequences" (Thomas Rilling)
- "Pricing of Value-added Services" (Barbara Broermann)
- "The Effectiveness of Salespeople in New Product Development" (Andreas Hildesheim)
- "The Role of Electronic Word of Mouth Marketing in New Product Launch" (Jennifer Thomsen)
- "Product Portfolio Management Conduct and its Implication for Performance" (Nina Landauer)
- Journal of Business Research Area Editorial Borad
- Journal of Business Research Area Editorial Borad
- International Journal of Research in Marketing
- Journal of Product Innovation Management
- Journal of International Marketing
- Journal of International Business Studies
- Journal für Betriebswirtschaftslehre
- Marketing Zeitschrift für Forschung und Praxis
- Die Betriebswirtschaft
- Schmalenbach Business Review
Co-publisher of the "Schriftenreihe des Instituts für Markorientierte Unternehmensführung"